we make it a priority to budget in an evening out a week. lots of time we are getting a glass of wine and splitting some appetizers to save money, but getting out is so important to us that we just make it happen. being around other people and experiencing life and energy and new places and new food is something that inspires and motivates us.
but for those times we decide a night in would be preferable, we make it special in our own way.
our favorite nght in includes:
- sweatpants (yes, really. we both have these and never want to take them off!) and a comfy t-shirt
- a glass of wine (or a cocktail if you're adventurous...negronis are our favorite)
- small plates! we never make a big dinner on date nights. instead we have small plates. (think nice cheeses, crackers, artichokes with garlic aoli, handcut oven fries, olive medleys, side salads, avocado halves drizzled in olive oil, siracha, and salt...
- a movie. we have been watching lots of old 1950's flicks with people like audrey hepburn, jimmy stewart, grace kelly, etc.
- for the end of the night, we like to make a shot of espresso to share. it always tastes so good at the end of the day, but a cup of tea would be nice too.
i started making up a dipping sauce for artichokes and french fries that i feel i have perfected over the years. it's so delicious and will really impress your friends!
Garlic Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic minced fine
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise (bonus points if you make your own)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly milled pepper
- and if you want a slight kick, throw in a teaspoon of siracha
Mix all ingredient together and viola! You have a fabulous dipping sauce for all kinds of things. We have even been known to dip potato chips in this. And it makes great salad dressing as well if you thin it a little more with olive oil. We ate this with our handcut fries and artichokes!
Happy Date Night! What are some of your date night ideas?